The latest technology available for breast biopsy is the vacuum assisted technique, which is available at Women’s & Breast Imaging.
- The procedure, at Women’s & Breast Imaging, is done under mammographic control.
- The radiologist inserts a biopsy needle through a tiny incision in the skin.
- Breast tissue is drawn into a sampling chamber using vacuum assistance. The technique allows the rotation of the needle to collect multiple tissue samples.
- The vacuum assisted procedure is most useful in patients who have micro calcifications in the breast, which need to be biopsied.
- The procedure is performed under local anaesthetic.
The biopsy procedure takes between 1 – 1½ hours.